• CPS Welcomes Out-of-District Students

    Students in preschool through 12th grade who live outside the boundaries of the Cincinnati Public School District may apply for admission to CPS schools during the annual Open Enrollment Lottery period.

    CPS' Board of Education adopted an Open Enrollment policy in January 2013, allowing out-of-district students to enter CPS schools without paying tuition (if they live in Ohio; students accepted from other states must pay tuition. Out of state tuition to attend a CPS school for 2022-23 is $10,232.90 per year. ($1136.98 each month)

    CPS' Open Enrollment policy: Board Policy 5113 (also called Interdistrict Open Enrollment)

    Open Enrollment Lottery application dates for 2024-25 school year

    Open Enrollment Details

    Students who live within CPS' district boundaries have priority for enrollment before out-of-district students are considered.

    Students (preschool through 12th grade) applying under Open Enrollment must meet any entrance criteria required by a CPS school (such as an entrance exam or an audition). 

    • Walnut Hills High School: Students who live outside the CPS district boundaries may take the Walnut Hills Entrance Exam (WHEE) for a $55.00 entry fee into Walnut Hills High School.
      • Visit the Walnut Hills Entrance Exam (WHEE, formerly called Special College Preparatory Program (SCPP) website for registration details
      • For more WHEE Information for Out-of-District Students, call CPS' Family Technology Support: (513) 363-0186
    • School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA): An out-of-district student interested in applying to SCPA must submit an online application during the Open Enrollment Period. CPS (not SCPA) will notify parents of a child's acceptance via Open Enrollment. If an audition is required (for grades 4-12), the out-of-district student must audition, then apply via the online Open Enrollment process. 


    After a child is accepted via Open Enrollment, a parent/guardian must register the child at the CPS school. To register, parents or guardians must bring the required documents to the CPS school.



    Call CPS' Customer Care Center: (513) 363-0123