ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT MISSION STATEMENT
"Riverview East Athletics is committed to providing athletic programs that develop sportsmanship, leadership, and a team-first mentality among our student-athletes. We consider athletics to be an extension of the classroom, where learning and developing positive character traits is the ultimate 'win'."
ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT GOALS
We are excited about the opportunity to serve your family! We recognize the value of Interscholastic Athletics in the educational process and the values that young people develop when they have the opportunity to participate in activities outside of the traditional classroom. We further encourage the development and promotion of sportsmanship, ethics and integrity in all segments of our Hawks community.
Ten Goals of Riverview East Athletics:
- To offer and support a comprehensive Interscholastic program.
- To promote healthy choices, including no drugs, no alcohol and no tobacco.
- To focus on the development of skill at all levels.
- To encourage student participation at all levels, however, as students progress through the system, it is understood that playing time will need to be earned and participation is not guaranteed.
- To develop Student-Athletes who display good sportsmanship at all times. Good sportsmanship consists of:
- Showing respect for opponents.
- Showing respect for officials and their decisions.
- Knowing, understanding, and following the rules of the contest.
- Maintaining self-control at all times.
- Recognizing and appreciating outstanding skill and performance.
- To develop a competitive, winning attitude. Winning is important.
- To encourage individual commitment to personal and team goals.
- To promote pride in the school and the athletic program. DO YOUR BEST!
- To develop student leadership skills through team interaction.
- To encourage parent and community participation in the total sports program via team parent groups and the Athletic Booster Club.
Though it’s not possible for us to provide the perfect experience for everyone involved, it doesn’t mean that we won’t try. We want to serve you in a way that helps your child/family have the best Educational Athletic experience possible.
AT RIVERVIEW EAST, WE BELIEVE…
All students can learn; all teachers can improve.
Our focus should be on student learning.
All students deserve ongoing, specific feedback.
All students deserve a consistent experience in school.
Professional collaboration is a priority. Isolation is a choice…
They’re all OUR students, not MY students.
Proactive parent communication is required.
Student discipline is about learning positive behaviors.
Athletic Director - Rayshawn Walton
Riverview East Family,
Hello! My name is Rayshawn Walton, and I would like to introduce myself to everyone as the Athletic Director here at Riverview East! Below is a brief background of myself.
Prior to my current role at Riverview East, I served as an Assistant Track & Field coach at the University of Southern California from 2019-2021. While at USC, we won the Women’s 2021 Division 1 National Championship, while our Men’s team placed 5th overall as well. I have coached several individual National Champions and All-Americans on both the men's and women's sides at USC. I was also able to coach several Olympic Gold medalists as well in the recent Olympic Games including, Rai Benjamin (Gold medalist & Silver medalist), Michael Norman (Gold medalist), and Kendall Ellis (Gold medalist & Bronze medalist)
I also served as a private Speed Training Coach in the Los Angeles, California area, where I trained NFL players Odell Beckham Jr (Los Angeles Rams), Saquon Barkley (New York Giants), Brandin Cooks (Houston Texans), Jason Verrett (San Francisco 49ers), Sterling Shepard (New York Giants), Marcus Allen (Pittsburgh Steelers), and Amani Oruwariye (Detroit Lions) under my OhYesSirTraining.com brand.
Prior to my time in Los Angeles, I served a dual role as Director of Operations and Assistant Track & Field coach at Florida State University from 2017-2019, where I coached several All-Americans, All-ACC members, ACC Champions and several school record holders.Prior to joining the FSU staff, I served in an Athletic Director role from 2014-2017 at Withrow High School and Turpin High School. I also served as a Track & Field coach at Withrow, where we won three straight Division 1 State Championships, in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Most importantly, we were able to send every senior in our program to the college level on full-ride scholarships.
In 2014, I graduated from the University of Akron with a Bachelors degree in Accounting while also being a Division 1 student-athlete on the football team. I am a 2010 Withrow High School graduate where I played football and ran track.
Thank you and let’s have a great school year!