Student Records (FERPA Compliance)

  • Records of former students often are needed for employment, continuing education and entrance into the military. 

    Cincinnati Public Schools maintains high standards in records management and is dedicated to providing student records in a prompt, reliable manner for parents, students and qualifying organizations. CPS follows procedures set by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which protects the privacy of student education records.

    Types of Records

    Requests for student records fall into three main categories:

    1. Transcripts — A record of classes taken and grades received.
    2. Graduation Verification — Official letter verifying the graduation date. (Diplomas are unique records, and no copies are made. The only record available is the graduation verification.)
    3. Other Records from the Student Cumulative File — Enrollment and withdrawal information; activities; attendance; test results; discipline records; health and medical records.

    Student Records Requests

    Student records are confidential. It is important that the district releases these records only to the proper parties. Student records cannot be released until all financial obligations owed to the district by the student have been paid.

    • An Inactive Student is a student who graduated from a CPS school prior to 2006
    • No longer attends a CPS school or was a CPS resident while attending a now-closed CPS or a now-closed, non-CPS school (charter)
    • Students who graduated after 2006 should request records directly from last high school attended; if that school has closed, make request to the Customer Care Center

    For students who attended and/or graduated from a now-closed, non-CPS school, a verification of graduation cannot be provided; however, the documents received from the now-closed, non-CPS school will be released. To receive requested records, complete and sign a Student Record Request Form (link below), provide a copy of your valid state-issued identification or state-issued driver's license, and payment to the CPS Customer Care Center or last high school attended.

    To request records of former students (allow 6-8 weeks for requests to be completed), fill out a Student Record Request Form, and mail or deliver it to:

    Cincinnati Public Schools
    Customer Care Center — Inactive Records
    P. O. Box 5381
    Cincinnati, OH 45201-5381

    Processing fees — Payment is by cash (exact change) or money order only. No personal checks accepted.

    • Transcript Request = $5 per request
    • Student Graduation Verification = $2 per request
    • Other Records/Information = $2 per request

    Email Student Records

    Special Education Records

    If requesting records about a former special education student, such as the child's Individualized Education Program (IEP), contact CPS' Department of Student Services, (513) 363-0280. 

    The Customer Care Center does not have access to Special Education Records.

    Right to Privacy

    Ohio law permits public release of Directory Information on a student unless the parent or guardian requests privacy.

    Board Policies

    Where to Find Student Records

    Records travel with each student, so records are kept at the school the student last attended. 

    Current Student with Program & School Still Open

    If the student is currently enrolled in a Cincinnati Public school, and the school and program the student last attended are still operating, contact the school and ask to speak to the School Registrar. These requests usually take about two weeks to fulfill.

    Former Student with Program & School Still Open

    If the student no longer attends a Cincinnati Public school, but the program and school the student last attended are still operating, contact the school and ask to speak to the School Registrar. These records may be kept off site, so requests may take two to four weeks to fulfill.

    Former Student with Program or School Closed

    If the program or school the student last attended has closed, those records have been moved to the Inactive Records Department.

    For example, a request for records of a student who attended night school at Western Hills High School would go to the Inactive Records Department because the night school program has been discontinued (even though the high school is still open). Inactive Records are stored off site. Requests may take six to eight weeks to fulfill. Contact CPS' Customer Care Center:  (513) 363-0123

    Where to Try to Locate Other Records (such as yearbooks, school pictures)