Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
The Mt. Airy PTO is an organization that not only gives our parents a voice but allows them to be active participants in providing what's best for our students. The PTO meets the first Wednesday of every month. We cannot stress enough the importance of having active parents and community members in our school. We are always looking for members and volunteers to help assist with PTO-sponsored events and help meet the needs of the school.
Local School Decision Making Committee (LSDMC)
The LSDMC is the primary governing body for each school in the district. This committee gives insight and input into important decisions that greatly impact students' lives and shape their educational experiences. The Mt. Airy LSDMC meets the second Monday of every month at 3:30 p.m.
The functions of the LSDMCs include:
- Adopting bylaws, including the school's mission and vision
- Setting measurable goals, based on a needs assessment
- Completing a mid-year and end-of-year progress report
- Making recommendations and approving the school budget
- Participating in the selection of the principal when a vacancy exists
- Approving locally initiated changes in the school's program or focus
- Making recommendations to the principal regarding other school issues
- Seeking grants to support the school's programs (optional)
- Coordinating and overseeing the development of the school as a Community Learning Center
The committee is composed of parents, teachers, staff members, students and community members. The LSDMC meets 9 times each year.
Instructional Leadership Team (ILT)
The ILT sets the instructional focus and makes the instructional decisions for the school. ILT responsibilities include:
- Developing, reviewing and evaluating the instructional program
- Monitoring and improving school operations and procedures that affect instruction
- Planning and monitoring training of staff
- Creating and maintaining a safe and orderly school environment
The team is composed of the principal, two parent representatives, two non-teaching staff members, and teachers. ILT meets twice a month and as needed.